Guests are invited to join tours of the organic gardens, mushroom hut, water treatment plant and solar panels. In addition, guests at Six Senses Ninh Van Bay can visit the organic chicken farm and learn about making natural essential oils at the alembic using the ingredients grown on site. Earth Lab also displays scientific, yet practical facts and figures, raising awareness and sharing information to persuade people to modify their daily behavior and incorporate more sustainable practices.
Earth Lab at Six Senses Ninh Van Bay runs the following sustainability initiatives:
• One of the largest organic gardens within the Six Senses group which is spread over 215,278 square feet (20,000 square meters) that grows more than 40 different types of herbs, fruits and vegetables.
• Alembic – a facility that produces essential oils from kumquats, eucalyptus and lemongrass grown at the organic garden as well as orange peels discarded from the kitchen. The peels, which are hard to compost due to the high content of oil that prevents decomposition, are collected and the oil is extracted in the alembic.
• Chicken farm with 120 free-range chickens producing 30 to 40 organic eggs daily for guests to collect and enjoy at breakfast. An incubation facility is available to hatch baby chicks.
• Do-it-yourself compost and chemical-free detergent that guests can learn how to make with the assistance of the resort’s sustainability supervisor.
• Water treatment plant that engages an energy-free and chemical-free system to remove the iron content from water collected at a nearby reservoir to use for running water.
• Reverse-osmosis plant for bottling the resort’s own water using glass bottles to eliminate the need for single-use plastic bottles. This saves around 15,000 plastic bottles per month from polluting the landfill and being abandoned in other areas.
• Mushroom hut produces about 88 pounds (40 kilograms) of fresh mushrooms each month.
The Earth Lab logo has a rich story behind its design. The hexagons represent nature’s beehive pattern that represents Earth Lab’s commitment to producing natural products. The design also evokes feelings of scientific discovery, which we aim to inspire in our hosts, guests and community members through educational programing.